When a pedestrian is hit by an automobile, the chances the pedestrian is injured is very high. The accident will most likely put a person into shock and if you are not prepared for extreme situations like these, everything is made worse. When you are prepared or even quickly informed about the steps to take after a pedestrian accident, the outcome of a tragic accident like this will lessen. The pedestrian accident lawyers and personal injury attorneys here at the Nagelberg Bernard Law Group have made this guide to show victims of a pedestrian accident the crucial steps to take after being hit by a vehicle.
- Call the police. Just like a regular auto accident, if you are able to, the first thing you should do is involve the local police. A proper police report is a crucial part of a pedestrian accident case. The chances are that you are injured and you should let the police know immediately. Provide honest answers to the best of your abilities and if you don’t feel right or are in pain, let them know that you need medical attention right away and postpone any questions until you have your personal injury lawyer present. Remember to not admit fault because anything you say to the police can be used against you.
- Exchange information. Information is crucial in a pedestrian accident case so you will need all of the contact information and insurance details from the driver of the vehicle that you are able to get. Witnesses are very valuable and you should get their information as soon as possible as well.
- Stay at the scene. It’s important to stay at the scene of the accident until help arrives. Even if you think you feel fine, the adrenaline rush of experiencing a pedestrian accident can mask your injuries Some injuries surface hours or even days after an accident and if you do not stay at the scene, report everything, and have yourself checked out you may find out too late that you are injured.
- Take photos. We know it may be hard to do so but take as many photos as you can of the accident scene. If you are to able have a loved one help you with this right away. Take shot of where you were walking, traffic lights, crosswalks and position of the vehicle that hit you. Any type of pictures that you can print will work.
- Seek medical attention. Seek a medical professional right away. Again it does not matter if you do not think you are “hurt enough” or hurt at all, in all likelihood you are. Injuries such as whiplash, or injures to the back and neck can take time for you to even feel. Not only can injuries get worse but when you do not seek medical help promptly, you can be faulted later in your case for not seeking treatment soon enough. This may lead to the value of your claim being reduced and sometimes even results in your case being thrown out.
- Be wary of insurance companies. Insurance companies have only one goal, pay out as little as possible not matter what. Do not make any statements on record without your attorney present. Better yet, do not even talk to the insurance companies without a personal injury lawyer.
- Retain a personal injury lawyer. It’s unfortunate but the insurance companies are not on your side (pretty much this is always the case). They hire are seasoned professionals who are masters at reducing the value of injury claims. You need an experienced and aggressive pedestrian accident attorney on your side, which will fight for your rights and get you maximum compensation for your damages and injuries.
The Nagelberg Bernard Law Group has the knowledge, experience and the resources to handle your case successfully and get you maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Links and Resources